Heroes Wiki is shutting down permanently on June 1 2020. For more information please see here.
|Portrayed by||Robert Forster|
|First appearance||War Buddies, Part 2|
|Known abilities||Ability absorption |
Absorbed abilities demonstrated:
Rapid cell regeneration,
|Date of marriage||1964|
|Date of death||Post-March 2007|
|Occupations||Founding member of the Company, |
former leader of Pinehearst Company,
former Linderman Group criminal defense attorney,
former Law firm head,
former U.S. Army Sergeant (served as a squad leader)
|Significant other||formerly Angela Petrelli|
|Parent||Mrs. Petrelli (deceased)|
|Children||Nathan Petrelli (deceased), |
|Grandchildren||Claire Bennet, |
|Other relatives||Sister-in-law: |
Arthur Petrelli was the husband of Angela, the father of Nathan, Peter, and was a founding member of the Company. He was an evolved human with the ability to steal other evolved humans' abilities through physical contact.
- 1 About
- 2 Character History
- 2.1 Season One
- 2.2 Four Months Later...
- 2.3 The Kindness of Strangers
- 2.4 Graphic Novel:Elle's First Assignment, Part 1
- 2.5 Graphic Novel:War Buddies, Part 7
- 2.6 Season Three
- 2.7 Orientation
- 2.8 The Fifth Stage
- 2.9 Upon This Rock
- 2.10 Graphic Novel:From the Files of Primatech, Part 4
- 2.11 June 13th, Part Two
- 2.12 Graphic Novel:Godsend, Part 5
- 3 Evolved Human Abilities
- 4 Heroes Reborn App
- 5 Memorable Quotes
- 6 Notes
- 7 See Also
- 8 Fan Theories
After having served in the Vietnam War alongside Daniel Linderman, Arthur (and his wife) helped found the Company. He worked with the others in the group to perform acts they believed would help the world. Arthur continued his relationship with Linderman, as he was the criminal defense attorney for the Linderman Group. Arthur was reported to have committed suicide in April 2006 after a long battle with depression although in truth his wife Angela poisoned him. He survived, albeit completely paralyzed and faked his own death. However, about a year later, Arthur made his existence public and began assembling a team of evolved human "villains" to carry out his plans. He was finally killed by Peter and Sylar with the help of the Haitian.
For an episode-by-episode summary, see Arthur Petrelli: Season One History.
Mr. Petrelli's death affects the Petrelli family and his memory continues to run through their thoughts. Hana Gitelman discovers files that discuss Mr. Petrelli and Linderman's involvement during the Vietnam War.
For an episode-by-episode summary, see Arthur Petrelli: Season Three History.
Arthur appears in one of Angela's dreams of the future. In the dream, Arthur confronts Angela and forces her to be unable to move once she awakens. Meanwhile, at the Pinehearst building, Maury Parkman reports to a bedridden Arthur on the progress of Daphne Millbrook's recruitment. Knox soon brings Adam Monroe into Arthur's room and Arthur is able to take Adam's regenerative abilities, causing him to rapidly age and die. Arthur, now fully healed, addresses "the bad guys" but is interrupted by the entrance of his son. Arthur tricks Peter and removes all of his powers, leaving him powerless. Arthur also uses his power to remove Maya Herrera's poison abilities, thus winning the trust of Mohinder Suresh, whom Arthur gives the task of completing the formula.
Just as Mohinder begins an experiment on Peter, Sylar appears and kills Dr. Livitz and releases Peter. Arthur throws some lightning at Peter but misses, leading Peter to escape. Arthur stops Mohinder from hurting Sylar and reveals that Sylar is his son. Arthur tells Sylar that Angela tried to kill him as a baby and Sylar decides to side with Arthur, telekinetically throwing Peter out of a window. Via a spirit walk, it is revealed that Arthur arranged Nathan's accident, which led Heidi to become paralyzed. Arthur went on to plan another attempt on Nathan's life with the aid of Linderman. Angela attempts to kill Arthur upon learning of his plans for Nathan. Arthur, bedridden has Dr. Livitz to tell Angela and his family that he is dead. In present time, Arthur learns of Hiro's spirit walk and teleports to Africa and kills Usutu, also erasing Hiro's memories to the point where he thinks he's ten.
Returning to Pinehearst, Arthur teaches Sylar how to acquire abilities empathically. Arthur also learns from Daphne that Matt Parkman is attempting to help Angela. Arthur enters Angela's mind and after a few words from his ex-wife, he releases his hold over her. Knowing that the only way to perfect the formula is with a catalyst, Arthur sends Knox and Flint after his granddaughter, whom he also believes to be the catalyst. Arthur then uses his precognition to discover that another eclipse is on its way. Upon regaining his powers, Arthur travels 16 years in the past and removes all of Hiro's abilities, also absorbing the catalyst from him. He then throws Hiro off a roof and sends Claire back to Primatech with a warning for Angela. After returning to Pinehearst, Arthur implants the catalyst into the formula, perfecting it. Arthur is then confronted by Peter and The Haitian. The Haitian is unable to suppress Arthur's abilities for long so Arthur attacks Peter, who shoots him. The bullet is stopped mid-air by Sylar, who asks Arthur a question. Arthur answers but Sylar knows he's lying and kills him himself.
At Nathan's funeral, Peter reminisces about his childhood while giving a eulogy. He states that Nathan had taught him several skills, such as skateboarding or fishing, because Arthur wasn't around to teach them to Peter. He also says that Nathan was much more demanding of him than his father would have been.
In 1978, Arthur discusses the results of Mindy Sprague absorbing too much energy and changing the weather pattern to create a blizzard. After Charles Deveaux offers to go "clean up," Arthur introduces Maury Parkman to the other Company founders. Arthur implies Maury can do the job just as well as Charles.
After Hiro's powers fail him, Angela realizes that Nathan, as Arthur's great-grandson, has inherited Arthur's powers, though Hiro later tells Noah that Nathan's powers are different in that he can only keep one ability at a time.
|This section is a stub. You can help by .|
Arthur Petrelli had the ability to steal the abilities of other evolved humans. By making physical contact, Arthur took Adam Monroe's ability and was immediately able to access it, healing the nerve damage that had left him paralyzed. A person whose ability Arthur has stolen is left powerless though Matt Parkman Jr.'s power can restore a stolen ability.
He claimed to have absorbed all of Peter's abilities after touching him, leaving Peter without his abilities; however, he did not demonstrate all of the abilities that Peter possessed.
The abilities that Arthur had acquired and demonstrated are:
- Telepathy from an unknown source (Villains) and Peter Petrelli (Dying of the Light)
- Rapid cell regeneration from Adam Monroe and Peter Petrelli (Dying of the Light)
- Electric manipulation from Peter Petrelli (Dying of the Light)
- Poison emission from Maya Herrera (Eris Quod Sum)
- Telekinesis (Eris Quod Sum) from Peter Petrelli (Dying of the Light)
- Mental manipulation from an unknown source (Villains)
- Space-time manipulation (It's Coming) from Peter Petrelli (Dying of the Light) and Hiro Nakamura (Our Father)
- Precognition (It's Coming) from Peter Petrelli (Dying of the Light)
The known abilities that Arthur had acquired but didn't demonstrate are:
- Empathic mimicry from Peter Petrelli (Dying of the Light)
- Enhanced strength from Peter Petrelli (Dying of the Light)
- Flight from Peter Petrelli (Dying of the Light)
- Induced radioactivity from Peter Petrelli (Dying of the Light)
- Intuitive aptitude from Peter Petrelli (Dying of the Light)
- Invisibility from Peter Petrelli (Dying of the Light)
- Phasing from Peter Petrelli (Dying of the Light)
- Precognitive dreaming from Peter Petrelli (Dying of the Light)
- Pyrokinesis from Peter Petrelli (Dying of the Light)
- Super speed from Peter Petrelli (Dying of the Light)
Arthur claimed that the effects of his ability are permanent.
- Ability: power absorption
- Company founders Arthur Petrelli and Daniel Linderman scheme to control their empire. (Villains)
- Arthur differs with his wife Angela on the Petrelli legacy. (Villains)
- Felled by his wife's poison, Arthur has a plan for recover. (Dying of the Light)
- Arthur steals abilities from others, including his son Peter. (Dying of the Light)
- Arthur tries again to convince his son Nathan that their destiny awaits. (It's Coming)
- Finally confronted by Peter, Arthur's enemies finally catch up with him. (Our Father)
"Your father was weak."
"My father was my hero."
"Ah, it feels good to breathe again."
- - Arthur (Dying of the Light)
"The bad guys are here."
- - Arthur (Dying of the Light)
"You don't have your powers anymore, Peter...because I have them now."
- - Arthur (Dying of the Light)
"I am better, Peter. That's not a belief, it's a fact."
- - Arthur (Eris Quod Sum)
"Son, until you change that attitude, you're grounded."
"I understand you've been dreaming about me."
- - Arthur (It's Coming)
- Since the photo of the Company's founders was taken before Robert Forster was cast, it has another actor as Arthur. A similar problem happened with Chandra.
- Arthur Petrelli appears to have been financially successful as a lawyer, and seems to have left his wife considerably wealthy.
- According to Angela, at age 23 Arthur was diagnosed with major depressive disorder. Though this may have been a lie, as she said it was the reason for his suicide.
- Arthur Petrelli, as Dallas, tells part of his Vietnam War history in the Lonestar File. This file is found in the top secret Pentagon archives.
- The note that Dallas shares with Austin appears to be from the mother of Dallas's son--it reads, "Our son...took his first steps yesterday."
- Mr. Petrelli's law firm used the Symbol in its logo (Lizards). Now he apparently uses two of the Symbols joined together as the logo for Pinehearst, his new place of business.
- At the time Arthur removed his powers, Peter had also been exposed to the abilities of persuasion, freezing, mental manipulation, melting, enhanced hearing, shattering, clairvoyance, technopathy, alchemy, sound manipulation, Mohinder's ability, and clairsentience.
- In an interview, Chuck Kim confirms that Arthur stole Peter's ability of empathic mimicry.
- When Peter wakes up and finds that he is handcuffed to a gurney and unable to escape, Arthur is sitting nearby reading Nietzsche (Eris Quod Sum). A major concept in Nietzsche's philosophy is the Übermensch (variously translated as superman, superhuman, or overman).
- Angela was put into a coma after a vision involving Arthur. In it, Arthur said that she "won't be able to move" (Angels and Monsters). It is unclear exactly how she became comatose/paralyzed but it looks like he simply trapped her in her mind like Maury did to Molly. Matt Parkman freed Angela after a telepathic struggle with Arthur that ended with Angela convincing him to let her go (It's Coming).
- Arthur has been an experienced user of telepathy since at least April 2006. (Villains)
- Arthur, having taken the the ability to erase memories from somebody (presumably from Peter), erases nearly two decades worth of memories and knowledge from Hiro (Villains).
- Arthur, during the Vietnam War, strongly resembled his son Nathan. (War Buddies)
- Despite all of his powers, Arthur was finally killed by the Haitian, Peter and Sylar. The Haitian used his ability to suppress Arthur's powers, while Peter fired a bullet at his father's head. Sylar temporarily stopped the bullet in midair but then, having discovered that Arthur lied about being his father, projected the bullet through Arthur's head, killing him permanently.
- In a deleted scene from Our Father (found on the Season 3 DVD), Arthur goes to Madras, India after reading Mohinder's mind, and steals Molly's ability.
- Arthur's great-grandson inherited his abilities, though he could only keep one power at a time, similar to Peter's second power. He also stole both rapid cell regeneration and space-time manipulation like Arthur.
- For other uses of Arthur, see Arthur (disambig).
- For other members of the Petrelli family, see Petrelli (disambig).
- For images of Arthur, see Images of Arthur Petrelli.
- For a list of his victims, see Arthur's victims.
Please refer to Theory:Arthur Petrelli for fan-created theories and other speculation.
Analyst • Lyle Bennet • Sandra Bennet • Elle Bishop • Emile Danko • Eric Doyle • Flint Gordon, Jr. • Future Peter • Meredith Gordon • The Haitian • Knox • Daniel Linderman • Dr. Livitz • Daphne Millbrook • Rachel Mills • Adam Monroe • Mr. Muggles • Kaito Nakamura • Matt Parkman, Jr. • Maury Parkman • Arthur Petrelli • Mark Spatney • SWAT agent • Turtle • Usutu
| See Also: Minor Characters • Season One Characters • Season Two Characters • Season Four Characters • Heroes Reborn Characters • Future Characters • Animals • Webisodes Characters •|
Graphic Novel Characters • iStory Characters • Evolutions Characters • Book Characters • Unaired Characters • Cast