The Rocky Mountains are visible from Denver.
The city and county of Denver, Colorado is the capital and most populous city of the state of Colorado. Downtown Denver is located next to the confluence of Cherry Creek with the South Platte River, and is approximately 15 miles east of the foothills of the Rocky Mountains. Since Denver is situated at an elevation of approximately 1 mile, it is often called the "Mile-High City".
- Originally called Denver City, General William Larimer, a land speculator from eastern Kansas, named the town to curry favor with Kansas Territorial Governor James W. Denver.
- Due to its important role in the agricultural industry of the plains regions, the city is sometimes called the "Queen City of the Plains".
- Denver was selected to host the Winter Olympics in 1976, but Colorado voters struck down ballot initiatives to host the games, so they were moved to Innsbruck, Austria. Denver is the only city ever to decline to host an Olympiad after being selected.
- City and County of Denver Official Site
- Google Map of Denver, Colorado
- Denver Metro Chamber of Commerce
- Denver History at Wikipedia
Afghanistan • Alaska • Albany, OR • Annapolis, MD • Antarctica • Arizona • Atlanta, GA • Au Co's village • Australia • Billings, MT • Black Hawk, CO • Bradford, England • Carlsbad, NM • Cape Town, South Africa • Central American town • Cody, WY • Congo • Coronado, CA • Côte d'Azur, France • Denver, CO • Germany • Goa, India • Guyana • Haitian village • Hiroshima, Japan • Hong Kong, China • Israel • Ithaca, NY • Kingsland, AR • Lake Arrowhead, CA • Levittown, NY • Londonderry Township, PA • Memphis, TN • Milan, Italy • Missoula, MT • Northfork, CT • Paro, Bhutan • Peach Pit, GA • Pittsburgh, PA • Port Arlesburgh • Savannah, GA • Silver River, WV • Tanzania • Vietnam • Waterbury, CT • Youngstown, OH
|Related Graphic Novel Portals: Characters • Issues • Places|