Heroes Wiki is shutting down permanently on June 1 2020. For more information please see here.
Nathan and Heidi's accident
|Nathan and Heidi's accident|
Heidi is injured in a car accident.
|Date of event:||April 2006|
|Location:||New York, NY|
Nathan's wife, Heidi, tries to convince Nathan to have Oliver Dennison from the New York Journal over for brunch as good PR for Nathan's campaign. When Nathan expresses disinterest, Heidi tells Nathan that she knows he is trying to protect her, but she doesn't need the protection. She has remained out of public view in order to keep Nathan from looking weak, but she assures her husband that she can help him. When Nathan finally agrees to the brunch, she pulls away, confined to a wheelchair.
Dennison tells Heidi that she appears to be adjusting well to life in a wheelchair. Heidi tells Oliver that she's alright, even though she was angry for a while. Oliver asks if she means angry at Nathan, since he was driving at the time of the accident; Heidi tells Oliver that she was mad at God, but has since made her peace.
Later, Heidi comes in the house and asks Nathan if he still loves the woman with whom he was reported to have an affair. Heidi tells Nathan that she needs hope if she is to walk again. Nathan falsely confirms Peter's earlier assertion that his meeting with Niki at the Las Vegas casino was to help Peter with his depression.
Approximately six months ago, Nathan and Heidi are driving on a freeway, and a passenger truck rams their car into water barriers on the side of the road. Nathan instinctively launches himself out of the car — the first instance of his power of flight — and he watches from above as his wife crashes alone in the car. He falls, injuring his forehead.
Peter wakes from a vision, somehow sensing exactly when Nathan had his accident; he later relays this to his mother.
At the hospital, Peter meets Nathan, and they discuss the accident. Somehow, Peter knows that there was another vehicle, and together the brothers deduce that an employee of Mr. Linderman is responsible for running them off the road, as the mob boss must have found out about the prosecution case against him. After 10 hours of surgery, Heidi's surgeon comes for Nathan, and Nathan learns that the accident has left Heidi in a wheelchair.
Arthur Petrelli orders Linderman to kill Nathan because Nathan is investigating Linderman's affairs. Linderman's men ram into Nathan's car, and Nathan flies out of the vehicle. The car careens into a group of water barriers, and Heidi is taken to a hospital. The doctor tells Nathan that her spine is injured and she is paralyzed. Nathan is sure that Linderman is behind the attack and is able to convince Angela as well. Arthur lies to Angela that he did not order Linderman to kill Nathan. Because the accident did not kill Nathan, Arthur and Linderman begin planning another way to kill Nathan.
- Heidi claims she was upset at God for the accident originally, but has since made peace.
- Heidi suspects that Nathan had an affair in Las Vegas after an interview with Oliver Dennison. She blames her wheelchair for his probable infidelity.
- It is unclear whether Nathan remembers flying to escape the crash; even if he does remember, he hides the discovery for another six months. It's also unclear whether Heidi remembers Nathan disappearing from the car. (Genesis)
- Peter comments that he knew about the accident "300 miles away". (Genesis) Peter was at his apartment in Manhattan, and Nathan and Heidi live about 90 miles away in Hyde Park. If the accident did occur 300 miles away, then it's unclear where Nathan and Heidi were headed. (Six Months Ago)
- Though the accident happened sometime around April 2006, the exact date is unknown. It seems the accident happened at least a full day after Nathan and Heidi attended the party at Peter's apartment, since they are both wearing different clothes than they were at the party.
The SUV rams the back of Nathan's car, ultimately causing an accident that paralyzes Heidi Petrelli.
Nathan awkwardly flies for the first time.
Nathan receives news of his wife's condition from a surgeon.
A few minutes later, she is able to stand.