Heroes Wiki is shutting down permanently on June 1 2020. For more information please see here.
Future Hiro's message
|Future Hiro's message|
Future Hiro delivers a message to Peter Petrelli: Save the Cheerleader, Save the World.
On October 4, 2006, Hiro Nakamura comes from the future to give Peter Petrelli a special message that is the catalyst for major events to follow. The message is "save the cheerleader, save the world".
- 1 About
- 1.1 Collision
- 1.2 Hiros
- 1.3 Better Halves
- 1.4 Seven Minutes to Midnight
- 1.5 Homecoming
- 1.6 Fallout
- 1.7 Godsend
- 1.8 Company Man
- 1.9 .07%
- 1.10 Graphic Novel:String Theory
- 1.11 Five Years Gone
- 1.12 How to Stop an Exploding Man
- 1.13 Four Months Ago...
- 1.14 The Second Coming
- 1.15 The Eclipse, Part 2
- 1.16 Jump, Push, Fall
- 1.17 Once Upon a Time in Texas
- 1.18 June 13th, Part One
- 1.19 June 13th, Part Two
- 1.20 Project Reborn
- 2 Heroes Evolutions
- 3 Memorable Quotes
- 4 Notes
- 5 Trivia
- 6 See Also
- 7 Fan Theories
A future Hiro Nakamura travels back in time to visit Peter Petrelli on a crowded subway in New York City. Future Hiro stops time, and converses with Peter, who appears to have also stopped time. After conversing with Peter for a moment, Hiro tells Peter that there is a message for him.
Future Hiro and Peter are still on the subway train. Hiro tells Peter that he doesn't have a lot of time, since he's risking a rift just being there. He tells Peter the message: "Save the cheerleader, save the world." Hiro informs Peter to go see Isaac because Isaac will understand. He also tells Peter that when Present Hiro calls, Peter needs to tell Hiro where to meet.
Peter delivers his message to Hiro and Ando. He tells them, "Save the cheerleader, save the world." Ando asks where the cheerleader is, but neither Peter nor Isaac know. Peter tells them about "Future Hiro" and that he was told to save the cheerleader. Peter tells the Japanese men to get to New York so they can find the cheerleader together, and then their conversation ends. Peter then fits Isaac's paintings together, realizing they're telling a story like a comic book. He and points out that there is one painting missing, which Isaac says Simone has.
Before he leaves for India, Mohinder Suresh tells Eden McCain about Peter's encounter with Future Hiro and his message. Eden later calls Noah Bennet and tells him about Mohinder leaving and that Peter had encountered a time traveler who told him "save the cheerleader, save the world." Noah is left visibly alarmed as he realizes the message refers to his daughter and he orders Eden to bring Isaac in.
At Isaac's loft, Nathan and Simone look over the missing painting. As they discuss the contents of the painting, Simone tells Nathan that "Peter believes if he can save a cheerleader he can save the world." After destroying the painting, Nathan asks if Simone really believes "save the cheerleader, save the world" but Simone just tells him that she doesn't know what to believe. When discussing the painting later with Peter, Simone realizes that Peter really believes in the message and he insists that even if he can't save the cheerleader, he must try. Simone finally shows Peter a picture of the painting that shows him dead and directs him to Union Wells High School in Odessa, Texas.
During the Union Wells Homecoming, Sylar arrives to kill a cheerleader with special abilities. However, upon entering the school, he sees the newspaper clippings regarding Jackie entering the train wreck instead of Claire; Sylar assumes that Jackie is the cheerleader he wants. When he tracks the girls down in the locker room, he grabs Jackie by the throat and telekinetically opens her skull to access her brain. Jackie's last word to Claire is "run..."
Claire runs into Peter in the school hallway as they are pursued by Sylar. They exit the school and climb up the bleachers. After Peter tells Claire to run for help, Sylar accosts Peter and the two men grapple. Peter pulls himself and Sylar off the top of the bleachers, killing Peter and seriously injuring Sylar. Sylar escapes, but is captured by Eden McCain and the Haitian.
After Sylar is defeated, Claire approaches Peter who automatically mimicks Claire's power and regenerates. As she runs off, Peter calls out to Claire and asks if by saving her did he save the world. Claire simply says, "I don't know. I'm just a cheerleader."
Hiro and Ando discuss the message at Union Wells High School after its Homecoming disaster. Ando suggests that the message is actually two separate statements, "Save the cheerleader", then "save the world." Hiro states that the message is an "if-then" statement, not two separate statements.
At the Odessa Police Department, Claire tells Peter that he is "totally [her] hero".
In a conversation with The Haitian, Claire repeats the cryptic phrase, attempting to comprehend whether the prophecy has been fulfilled, or if it still needs fulfilling. The Haitian says that she has been saved for now.
While reading Claire's mind, Matt Parkman recalls hearing something similar during his interrogation of Peter Petrelli, and while he doesn't get the complete message, he realizes that Claire is the cheerleader in question and that she must be protected.
Peter tells Nathan that Claire is not just "some girl", she is his daughter, and that she was the girl he saved in Texas. He then reiterates Future Hiro's message — "save the cheerleader", but is cut off by Nathan as he says "save the world."
Future Hiro goes over the events which lead him to leaving the message: Sylar was the Bomb and that he almost prevented it by stabbing him- only for him to immediately regenerate due to taking Claire's power.
Hiro and Ando time travel five years in the future and discover that New York was destroyed by the bomb. He meets Future Hiro and the two of them remember the message -- "save the cheerleader, save the world". Hiro tells Future Hiro that Peter saved Claire from Sylar. Later, Future Mohinder and Future Matt are at Isaac's loft and find a living map of the past. Mohinder finds a note on a reproduction of a painting by Isaac that says "Oct 4th N.Y. subway" and remembers that he was with Peter Petrelli that day. He tells Matt that Peter said he saw a man who could freeze time and that he had a message for Peter -- "save the cheerleader, save the world". Future Mohinder later explains to present Hiro that Future Hiro gave Peter the message.
After Nathan recovers from seemingly fatal gunshot wounds, he tells a news reporter, "Save ourselves, save the world".
Hiro travels back in time to the day Charlie Andrews was murdered to save her life. After being reminded that messing with that moment in time could alter the path everyone was on, Hiro wheels a bound Sylar out to a bus to Odessa and tells him he will go on his path and "Peter Petrelli will stop you and save the cheerleader just as he is supposed to."
Later, Hiro realizes he needs to send his past self back in time six months to preserve him and Charlie falling in love. When Hiro tells his past self that he is there to tell him about their destiny, Past Hiro excitedly goes "save the cheerleader, save the world." However, Hiro tells his past self that "actually, the cheerleader will be fine" and his mission is now to "save the waitress."
After traveling back in time to save Claire and stop the bombing of the Odessa Unity Summit, Noah is informed by Angela Petrelli that Claire is in the hospital in surgery. When Noah is caught between going to Claire and stopping the bombing, Hiro tells him "this time you save the cheerleader" while he stops the bombing.
When trying to find out how to stop the H.E.L.E., Tommy Clark discovers that Noah Bennet is the key to changing the future. After going back in time to save Noah's life, Tommy tells Noah he discovered, based on Hiro's advice on how to change time, that he needs to save Noah as "save you, save the world", a variation on what Future Hiro once told Peter Petrelli.
- In the post "Late Again", Hiro says that he is bored at Yamagato Industries and wants to save the world. He dreams of saving from an intergalactic war.
- In the post "Where to Begin...", Hiro says that he won't live in "a post-apocalyptic world. I'm going to save the world!"
- In the post "Mudslide", Hiro expresses his desire to "continue with my mission to save the world." He then reiterates that he is looking for more to save the world.
- In the post "Riding in Style", Hiro says that after enjoying a ride in a limo, he has to "get back to my mission to save the world."
- In the post "New York or Bust", Hiro reflects on his phone conversation with Peter. He says that Peter met "a future me" who told Peter to deliver a message to Present Hiro. "I guess he is important to my mission otherwise future me wouldn't have come talk to him." Hiro goes on to blog, "Future me said, or maybe it's will say to be exact. I don't know what the correct tense would be \(- -)/ Anyways, he said, or I said, (?.?) ..., save the cheerleader, save the world. So saving this cheerleader would save Mr. Isack? Even though he/I will/was very cryptic he/I should've not interacted with someone from my current timeline. I'm disappointed. He/I should've known/should know the negative ramifications of time travel. (>.<)"
- In the post "Practice Makes Perfect", after saving a woman in a car crash, Hiro ponders on the idea that "if she was the cheerleader we would've saved the world, according to future me via Peter." Hiro then notes that he has "two missions now. Cheerleader then New York."
- In the post "Kitty Pride" [sic], Hiro resolves to time travel back to the present to "continue my mission. I will save the cheerleader. I will meet Mr. Isack. I will save the world."
- In the post "Failure", following the Charlie's death, Hiro steels himself to "not let her death be in vain. I must save the world."
- In the post "Destiny Called", Hiro ruminates on the the idea of failure. He says, "I wasn't able to save Charlie and a Cheerleader died in Odessa. Jackie Wilcox. Was she the Cheerleader I was supposed to save? What if I ruined everything?"
- In the post "The Sword", Hiro expresses his the moral ambiguity of stealing a replica sword from a museum, but justifies it by saying, "I need to save the world and I need the sword. Without the sword there would be no world and hence no museum. After the world was saved, I was going to come back in time and return the sword and it would be like nothing happened!
- In the post "My Father", Hiro writes about his eternal hope. "I can't and won't ever give up. My mission is to save the world!"
- In the post "Hard Choices", Hiro blogs that he must "focus on the mission. Get the sword. Save the world."
- In the post "Who Am I?", Hiro opines, "Who am I? I'm a time traveler and a teleporter. I've seen the future to prevent. I'm on a mission. To save the world." He concludes the blog entry by announcing, "I'm Hiro Nakamura. I'm going to save the world."
- In a later post titled "Final Message", Hiro says, "I can't believe it's finally over. I can save the world. Well, at least in one timeline."
- When Hiro expresses his desire to time travel to save Charlie, Ando tries to discourage him. Ando protests, "You're supposed to save the world! What's going to happen to the world if you aren't here to save it?" Hiro believes he can do both, saying, "I'll go save Charlie, then I'll be back to save the world." (Chapter 4)
- Charlie says she could use her power to change the world. Hiro thinks, "Right after I save it." (Chapter 26)
"Save the cheerleader, save the world."
"My name is Peter Petrelli. I have a message for you...."
"Save the cheerleader; save the world."
"Are you the one? By saving you, did I save the world?"
"I don't know... I'm just a cheerleader."
"No, no, save the cheerleader, then save the world."
"No, it's an "if, then" statement."
"How do you know?"
"I was the one who said it!"
"Future you doesn't count as you."
"'Save the cheerleader.' I read his mind, he read mine. He told me to protect you... from someone who was killing people like me."
"Save the cheerleader..."
"...save the world."
"Look here. These two dates seem to be the focal points -- both in the past. The first is the bomb. The other--"
"What? What is it?"
"The other's the day I received my father's ashes. I was with Peter Petrelli that day... on the subway. He said he saw a man who could freeze time."
"I don't know. Well, he said he had a message for Peter."
"What? What was the message?... Hey! What was the message?!"
"Save the cheerleader... Save the world."
"You saved the cheerleader so we could save the world."
"I have come to telly you about our destiny--"
"Save the cheerleader, save the world!"
"Actually the cheerleader's going to be fine. You must save the waitress."
"Save our son, save the world."
"Save you, save the world."
- The preview for the final episodes of the first season references the message with the tagline: "They saw the future. They saved the cheerleader. When Heroes returns, it's time to save the world."
- Future Hiro's line, "Save the cheerleader, save the world," has become a very popular catchphrase referenced in many pop culture media. See references to Heroes for some examples.
- Due to the erasing of the "Explosion Future," "save the Cheerleader, save the world" no longer applies. By saving Claire, they saved the world the way that Future Hiro wanted. Also, Future Hiro wanted Claire to be saved so that Sylar would die on Kirby Plaza, but, as we've seen, Sylar survived without Claire's power. Indeed, Claire survived the attack that let Sylar get her power, so she never needed saving at all.
- According to an interview with creator Tim Kring, it was writer Adam Armus who came up with the famous slogan "save the cheerleader, save the world". Tim said that Adam "blurted it out during the story breaking session and we wrote it on the wall and the next thing we know the promo department ran with it."
- An Earth Awareness Day banner at CVHS bears the slogan "Save the Ozone, Save the World". (The Line)
- One of the six eBooks written as prequels to Heroes Reborn is titled Save the Cheerleader, Destroy the World.
- For other uses of message, see message (disambig).
Please refer to Theory:Future Hiro's message for fan-created theories and other speculation.
|Other Things: Artwork • Clothing • Documents • Drugs • Food • Items • Jewelry • Media • Medical Conditions • Money • Phones • Publications • Research • Technology • Vehicles • Weapons|