World War II
|World War II|
World War II enthusiasts reenact the war.
|First mentioned:||Wireless, Part 1|
|Date of event:||1939 - 1945|
|Location:||Japan, Germany, etc.|
World War II, fought in Europe and Asia during the late 1930s and 1940s, was a war full of fierceness, determination, and survival.
World War II was a two-stage war: the conflict in Asia began in 1941, and the fighting in Europe began in 1939. Most of the world's nations divided into two opposing military alliances: the Allies and the Axis Powers. More than 60 million people were killed worldwide.
Hiro Nakamura, a resident of Japan, goes to the Hiroshima Peace Memorial to pay respect to his grandfather, and to deliver an origami crane. Hiro reflects upon his grandfather's experiences in Hiroshima, the city from which Hiro's name is derived. Hiro despondently recalls that his grandfather survived the nuclear attack at Hiroshima, but later died of cancer.
In 1944, Hana's grandmother fights with the resistance against the Nazis. Despite a losing battle and the deaths of many men and women, the resistance urges forward, using smoke to communicate and coordinate attacks. Like many Jews, she is captured, tattooed, and interred at Auschwitz.
When Nathan suggests his plan to eradicate evolved humans completely, Mohinder asks the president, "Am I supposed to march you off to the gas chambers as well?" referencing the concentration camp gas chambers frequently used during the Holocaust to kill the Jews.
- A series of Global News Interactive videos posted on Hana's website shows archival footage of World War II circa 1943, and briefly mentions concentration camps and freedom fighters. The news videos mention Ruth Meisner and Rooijker's contributions to the war.
- Maury Parkman's Assignment Tracker 2.0 profile notes that in April 1943, Maury's parents fled ahead of the Nazis.
- A crossword puzzle clue on Hiro's blog reads "Brown stormtroopers". The answer is "SA", which stands for Sturmabteilung, who were the Nazi stormtroopers.
- A deleted scene from Angels and Monsters, found on the Season Three DVD, reveals that Dr. Zimmerman was part of Project Paperclip, an objective to recruit German scientists from Nazi German following World War II. Incidentally, one of the operations under Paperclip was codenamed "ECLIPSE".
Hana's grandmother fought in the resistance.
The Nazis used tanks to fight the resistance.
Hana's grandmother was brought to Auschwitz in 1944.
- Germany Chronology, World War II - World History Database
- Japan Chronology, World War II - World History Database
- World War II -- Wikipedia
- History of the Jews during World War II -- Wikipedia
- Resistance during World War II -- Wikipedia
- Atomic bombings of Hiroshima and Nagasaki -- Wikipedia